Our new project with the GIZ started in in 2021: Digital4jobs. The main objective of the project and the related research activities is to empirically test and investigate how the developed measures can contribute to technological empowerment and bottom-up economic development, evaluating their social, ecological and economic impact. Therefore, a centrel open digital manufacturing lab will be build based on a participatory approach.
The open digital manufacturing lab (OpenLab Tunisia) will be a space for experiencing and experimenting with relevant digital manufacturing technologies in the hardware domain bringing different stakeholders and partners together. Throughout the project we will carry out Train-the-trainer workshops, in order to make sure that the OpenLab can be run by a local team in the long run.
In a first stage, we will build part of the digital machine park of the future lab on our own together with stakeholders from the Technical centers. We will ensure that the future users learn how to build, use, maintain, advance, modify and repair them on their own (à capacity building, promoting digital and technological literacy).
In a second stage we will connect the established OpenLab to existing local and global networks and communities of practice (e.g., Fab Foundation, FabCity Network, Additive Manufacturing Networks etc.), establish an operation model (business model for the Lab) and carry out one hackathon/ idea competition in cooperation with representatives from the local industry.
What is an OpenLab?
- community-operated, self-organizing and open manufacturing space
- with an easy access to robust and easy-to-handle means of production
- that offers open workshops that provide a common place for encountering, learning, experimenting, joint creativity and value creation
- Introduce and integrate Open Source Appropriate Technology (OSAT) and Open Production Spaces concept to the Tunisian industry 4.0 strategy
- Develop teaching modules and concepts for experience-based technological learning via machine building workshops and elements of STEM education especially in the field of prototyping and entrepreneurship
- Matchmaking between latest scientific research in digital fabrication, stakeholders from universities/ research institutes, technology providers and SMEs
- Develop OSATmachines, promote access, knowledge and skills to use digital fabrication technologies and derive related business models
- Empirically test and investigate how the developed measures can contribute to technological empowerment and bottom-up economic development
- Integration into the facilities and services, Train-the-trainer workshops, make sure that the OpenLab can be run by a local team in the long run
- Establish strong linkages between research, education and industry